Immanuel Baptist Church was started
as a mission by the original Immanuel and Seventh Baptist
Churches on March 8, 1897. The mission met in several
rented buildings until the two founding churches became
one, known simply as at the time as Seventh Baptist
Church. At this time, the founders decided to build
a chapel for the mission in the 1700 block of North
Milton Avenue in Baltimore City. This was completed
and the mission moved into the chapel in 1906.
By 1909, the mission had grown so
much that the average attendance had reached 147 people.
Because of this growth, the mission was allowed to incorporate
themselves under the official name of Immanuel Baptist
Church. Growth continued until the average Sunday School
attendance was 100 and the active membership numbered
125. These figures remained rather steady until the
By the mid-1940s
several new classrooms were added to the church, and
later, a new educational facility was erected at the
rear of the chapel. Immanuel continued to grow steadily,
expanding to its limits. It was therefore recommended
After finding land a few miles north
of the city, Immanuel sold their beloved chapel and
quickly found themselves meeting in an old movie theater
and mission house until the new sanctuary could be built.
On February 5, 1961, the new church building, located
at Frankford Avenue and Sinclair Lane, was officially
Membership grew steadily until the
early 1980s when it was decided once again to move the
church. Immanuel was informed
by the Baltimore Baptist Association that the White
Marsh area was on the verge of becoming one of the fastest
growing regions around Baltimore. With this in mind,
the church leaders set out to locate a tract of land.
Immanuel was lead to its present location at 5050 Bucks
Schoolhouse Road, and after many design and construction
delays, proceeded to build. On October 26, 1986, Immanuel
Baptist Church officially opened in White Marsh.
In January 2002, Pastor Jeff Schulz
was called to lead Immanuel. The church currently has
a growing congregation and is actively seeking to bring
more to the Lord through our many programs and ministries.